Although cough is not a very ailment but its persistent occurrence is irritating and brings lot of discomfort. Although there are over the counter medicines for cough but also with some of the natural ingredient intake the annoying re-occurrence of cough can subdue. There are two types of cough – dry and productive cough, out of which dry cough is more annoying as it doesn’t cause any mucus outflow but is caused mainly due to allergies or dry air. The productive cough releases out cough in form of mucus which is a good thing as it is throwing out the chest blockage. Now if you are suffering from cough now and then, try these simple home remedies and satiate your throat by giving it rest from continuous coughing.
It is one of the most effective natural remedy for persistent cough. Try to include ginger in any form in your diet to keep your throat healthy.
- The best way to get instant relief from cough is to cut a fresh piece of ginger and chew you, as the ginger juice releases or touch your throat it starts imparting its positive action.
- Alternately you can consume your cup of black tea by adding ginger to it which will relieve you of cough. Boil water and add mashed ginger, add tea and honey and consume the tea, which will largely help in mucus formation which on release gives relief.
It is one of the oldest Indian Traditional spices which has many medicinal effects and its ability to fight against pathogens has also proved it worth against cough. Turmeric has high concentration of a compound called as curcumin which is responsible for imparting anti bacterial and anti – inflammation properties to it.
- Prepare syrup of turmeric in combination with black pepper and cinnamon by boiling the three ingredients in water. Consume it to get instant relief from cough.
- Turmeric can also be consumed by mixing one tablespoon of it in warm milk that effectively helps in treating cough.
- Alternatively you can also grind turmeric root and ground it to powder form. Mix honey with little amount of the powder to make a paste and consume it regularly thrice till cough subdues.
It is one of the best natural remedy for treating cough and has huge number of anti – bacterial properties which helps in soothing our irritant throat lining. Honey can be consumed alone with a glass of water every day in empty stomach to boost our system and to fight against throat infection and cough.
- Mix honey in a glass of warm milk and include it in your regular diet to keep cough and infection at bay. It greatly helps in relieving dry cough and reduces chest pain. Try to have a glass of milk with honey before going to bed everyday.
- Honey can be used in combination with various other things like ginger, turmeric etc to make homemade syrup which helps in easing bad cough.
Garlic has both antibacterial and antimicrobial components which help in treating coughs. It has medicinal values and thus with its regular consumption it helps in soothing cough and relieve of constant irritants the pile around throat.
- You can consume three to four cloves of garlic raw everyday to get the benefit of its medicinal advantage. Alternately you can also sautee garlic cloves using ghee and consume the same immediately after it has slightly cooled down.
- Boil 4 to 5 cloves of garlic and allow it to cool a little, add honey and black pepper and consume it.
It is very effective in treating dry cough as it helps in reducing sputum formation which in turn effectively helps in reducing cough. It helps in relieving one from congestion and stimulates expulsion of sputum.
- Make a paste of ginger and jiggery by grinding the ginger and by adding ghee make a ball out of it. Consume the ball to find instant relief from cough.
- Jaggery can also be consumed with warm milk in order to relieve oneself of cough.
F. Basil Leaves
It is a medicinal plant which has many health benefits and its regular intake can effectively help in relieving one from cough. It has antitussive properties which helps in suppressing cough and also reduces cough.
- Make a syrup by grinding tulsi along witn sugar candy(Mishri) in water, drink the syrup twice a day to relieve yourself from cough.
- The combination of ginger and basil leaves is great for treating cough. Crush 8 to 10 tulsi leaves and mix it with juice extracted from ginger. Add honey to the same to make a syrup and consume a tablespoon of it to get instant relief from cough.
So these are some of the home based ways how you can take care of your cough without taking over the counter medicines repeatedly. Also follow a regime of gargling with bearable hot water along with salt to keep infection at bay.