Have you noticed those strands of grey hair and you realise you are too young for those? It is a common problem and is caused due to inability of melanin production that imparts the hair its natural colour. There are many reasons out of which the dominant ones are stress, pollution, hormonal problems, bad hair products, disease conditions like Nuerofibromatosis, pernicious anemia, Werner syndrome etc and genetic conditions. Although it is difficult to treat the pre-mature hair greying, try these home remedies to reduce its occurrence.
- Indian Gooseberry or Amla – It is the most effective treatment for pre-mature hair greying as it is rich in Vitamin C and anti-oxidants which prevents pre-mature aging effects. Apply paste of 4 to 5 Amla and leave on for 30 minutes before washing with plain water. Alternatively boil coconut oil and amla pieces, add fenugreek powder to make a paste and massage on scalp to leave on overnight to wash off with mild shampoo next morning.
- Lemon juice – The citrus fruit is a rich source of Vitamin C and phosphorous which stimulates growth and prevents hair greying. Mix 2 spoons of lemon juice to 3 spoons of almond oil; massage gently and wash off after an hour. Alternatively add lemon juice to coconut oil, massage before going to bed and wash off next morning.
- Henna – The natural paste from Henna leaves is more effective than the commercial packet ones. It has pigment that naturally colours the hair and strengthen hair from its roots. Make a paste of fresh henna leaves, add yoghurt, lemon juice and little bit of tea or coffee powder. Apply on hair and wash off with cold water after it dries off. It effectively reduces pre-mature greying of hairs.
- Ribbed Gourd – It has natural ingredients which prevents pre-mature aging and reduces the occurrence of grey hair. It is known to increase the production of melanin and thus get hair its natural colour. Sun-dry pieces of the vegetable, grind them and make a paste of it by mixing with coconut oil, apply the paste on hair and scalp and wash off with mild shampoo after an hour.
- Onion – It is common kitchen essential and has shown its worth in preventing pre-mature hair greying. According to research pre-mature hair greying is due to reduced production of catalase and increased accumulation of hydrogen peroxide at base of hair follicle. Onion is known to promote production of catalase and thus is effective in controlling hair greying. Apply onion juice on scalp and wash off after an hour.
- Amaranth – It is a powerhouse of anti-oxidants and vitamins which nourishes your hair and reduces the greying process. The juice of amaranth contains high concentration of melanin promoting enzyme which restores the natural hair colour and prevents hair fall as well. Extract the juice for the leafy vegetable, apply and massage the juice on scalp and wash off after leaving for an hour.
Bid adieu to pre-mature hair greying and look younger than your age with these simple and cost effective home remedies.