Kidney stones are painful and needs to be treated with immediate effect. They are usually formed due to crystallisation of calcium and oxalate in urinary tract and lead to obstruction of the tract. It leads to infections and also reduced kidney performance with painful urine excretion. Other compounds like carbonate, phosphate, uric acid etc can also lead to formation of kidney stones. They can occur due to poor diet, excess supplement and junk food consumption, mineral deficient, obesity etc. Food rich in oxalic acid, calcium and red meat intake increase occurrence of kidney stones but here are few items which act as natural remedies for kidney stone.
- Lemon – It is rich in Vitamin C and acts as natural cleanser and neutralises the kidney stone promoting compounds. The rich content of citric acid reduces the formation of citric acid. Citrate binds with calcium and prevents formation of calcium oxalate that leads to formation of kidney stones. Squeeze a lemon and add its juice to one bottle of water and sip it throughout the day which reduces stone formation.
- Kidney Beans – These kidney shaped beans are effective remedy for treating kidney stones and they also helps in preventing formation of the stones. The kidney beans can be boiled and consumed directly. Alternatively boil the beans from the pods and strain the water after boiling for 5 to 6 hours and consume the water.
- Magnesium content – It greatly reduces the formation of kidney stones and adequate intake of food items in magnesium prevents crystallisation of compounds like oxalate into stones. Chelated forms of magnesium like magnesium citrate and magnesium malate are more effective. Include food rich in magnesium content like cashews, almonds, pumpkin seeds, spinach etc.
- Basil – It is Indian traditional plant which has many medicinal values and benefits. It boosts the mechanism of kidney performance and reduces occurrence of kidney stones. Raw basil leaf acts as tonic which helps in breaking down the kidney stones and expulsion from urinary tract. Mix one spoon of raw honey along with basil leaf and consume daily till relieved of kidney stone.
- Fruit Juice – Pomegranate and cranberry juices are very effective for treating kidney stones and the seeds of pomegranates are considered to be natural remedy for breaking kidney stones. They have ample amount of vitamins and their slight sour properties are effective. It is recommended for all the kidney stone patients to drink a glass of either of the fruit juice.
- Dandelion Root – It is a strong natural remedy for kidney stones and acts as great cleaner for kidney. It prevents formation of crystals leading to formation of kidney stones. It is beneficial to take 500mg of dandelion roots everyday to recover from kidney stones.
- Water – Lastly adequate consumption is very important to reduce the risk of kidney stones. Increased intake of water helps in flushing out toxins from kidneys and prevents formation of stones. One should consume at least 10 to 12 glasses of water or a little more for proper functioning of kidneys and other metabolism.
By increasing the intake of these and changing your diet habits one can easily reduce the painful occurrence of kidney stones.