Under the scorching summer heat, we tend to sweat in excess due to humid conditions which leads to occurrence of heat rash or prickly heat. They are small reddish colour blisters or bumps that can occur everywhere mainly on back, arms, neck, feet, abdomen, armpits etc. They are usually caused due to trapping of sweat under the layers of our skin and blockage of the sweat pores. The red bumps give a prickling sensation and are itchy. It is more common in areas where sweat accumulates more. It is important to take cool shower and stay cool during summers. Apart from that, here are some natural remedies for prickly rashes or heat rashes.
- Baking Soda – It is one of the most effective therapies against prickling rashes and prevents it by unclogging the sweat pores through exfoliation of the dead skin. It helps in reducing the itching and burning from the rashes. Add 1 spoon of baking soda in one cup of cold water, dab a towel into the solution and put the towel on the affected area for 15 minutes. This is very helpful is repeated every day.
- Ice cubes – They are very useful in reducing heat rashes and provides relief against itching and inflammation. Simply wrap some ice cubes in cloth or a plastic bag, apply the same on the affected area and get fast relief. You can also directly apply the ice-cubes on the rashes for relief as it tends to absorb the heat and reduce inflammation.
- Fuller’s Earth – It is known to have cooling effect and reduces the prickly heat by trapping the heat absorbed and also by opening the pores. It helps in reducing the inflammation and heat boils. Make a paste of fuller’s Earth with rose water and plain water, apply on affected area and wash off after 20 minutes with cold water.
- Aloe Vera – The gel of this plant is very helpful in soothing heat rashes or prickling heat. It is majorly useful in treating heat rashes on face. The cooling effect tends to absorb the heat trapped under the rashes which reduces the inflammation. Cut out fresh aloe vera stem, apply the gel on face and other affected area and wash off after leaving on for 30 minutes. Regular application of aloe vera gel reduces chances of occurrence of the heat rashes.
- Sandalwood – It is known to give cooling effect to our body with its medicinal and cooling properties. Take sandalwood powder and make a paste of it with rose water, apply on affected areas and wash off after 30 minutes. Alternatively make a paste by mixing sandalwood and coriander powder in rose water, apply on heat rashes and wash off after 30 minutes with cold water.
- Oatmeal – It has properties which treat heat rashes with its anti-inflammatory and soothing properties. Oatmeal is known to reduce inflammation, itching and give quick relief of regular application. Mix one cup of oatmeal in one bucket of water or in bathtub with cold water, mix properly and use the water for taking bath. Repeat it every day to get quick relied from heat rashes.
Don’t wear very tight clothes and try to wear lose cotton clothes of light colour in summer’s. Take bath with cold water at least twice a day and keep yourself safe from prickly heat.